Saturday, January 1, 2011

1.1.11

Out with the old, in with the NEW!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

It is the year 2011 - A beginning of a new decade.

Thought of writing my NY resolution, but by 31st Dec 2011, I'll realise I will only be able to achieve at best, half of it... So I'm not gonna make myself depress during year end LOL!

But there are things that happened this year that I truly treasure and appreciate, which are:

I am finally a married woman, legally and customarily (no brainer for this). Coming to terms that I am not not living my life only responsible to myself and family, but now, to another person - my hubby. Making decisions require consultation and discussion, saying things after thinking carefully has become the core essence to a survival of a relationship and many others. I reckon I have gone through much about marriage and our lives in the past few posts. Sometimes, when you are arguing, you really can't control the rush of emotion and unkind words just splutter out. The result? Hurt and misery. With us growing old together and starting a family together, we must work harder to make this work, for the better.

Chains do not hold a marriage together. It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads which sew people together through the years. ~ Simone Signoret

My relationship with my dad has generally improved. Although we have our arguments during the wedding preparation, but in the end, it all turned out well. Sometimes, I really dislike (can't use the work "hate") him especially when he is being extra ridiculous. But after all the anger and calming down, I have to accept that fact that he is my father and I have to respect him. I can't let my stubbornness to go overboard and ignore the fact that I do actually love and respect him (even after everything he has done to the family). The time when he was hospitalised, it was a very emotional period for me. Right after my tea ceremony, my dad was admitted to the hospital for an operation. When I visited him the next day, I was holding back my tears even before I could step into the room. At that very moment, I know that I really cannot have my dad leave me. I would be so devastated! At that second, I have decided to be a grown up and stop being mad at my dad for the littlest issue and try to see a bigger picture - which is spending as much time with him as possible, and to fulfill my responsibility as a daughter. After all, he did raised me up and gave me the best.

A truly rich man is one whose children run into his arms when his hands are empty. ~ Author Unknown

Mum has been so supportive throughout. Relationship with mum has never been good since I was born because mum tends to be biased towards the brother and sister (and still is, but no grudges). Even when I was jobless and was just starting my new job 5 years ago, all mum ever did was make my life more miserable. Already I was struggling with new job, no car, new relationship with the then-bf, mum made it worse for me, which then led me to me moving out and took the plunge to stay with the then-bf. Looking back, this incident did bring positive outcome. At least, we get to salvage our mother-daughter relationship, and my relationship with my then-bf has improved tremendously. Now, mum has been so understanding and best of all, she hardly nags me anymore (yay!).

A daughter may outgrow your lap, but she will never outgrow your heart. ~ Author Unknown

My brother and I are in talking terms. With the wedding happening, slowly, my brother and I started talking. It was not easy as my brother was being such a total pain in the ass initially. He and his super chauvinist and stubborn character would not let it easy for us. Thus, it took too much time and unnecessary time wasted to accommodate to his pride. But, with dad hospitalised, it sped up our recovery process and it has definitely gotten so much better. I remember how close we were last time when he used to tell me everything and listen to whatever advises that I offer him. I don't think we can go back to that since we are now 10 years older and definitely have our own thoughts and minds, but I would wish that he will be half as close to me as before.

A sibling may be the keeper of one's identity, the only person with the keys to one's unfettered, more fundamental self. ~ Marian Sandmaier

The sister has grown up.
I was worried about my youngest sister who doesn't seem to have any path or dream in her life. All she does is get drunk everyday and not stay in a study or job long enough. As she grows older, thankfully, she has gotten so much better and beginning to prove herself. At the very least, she is in a job now for about 6 months and is responsible person. Heck, she became my maid of honor and perform the role outstandingly! She didn't complain one bit and was very helpful during the wedding. Yeah I would have been more grateful if she could lend a helping hand during the preparation, but we were not living together, and she has her life. As she grows older, I do hope life will be easier on her and she could actually live her life more responsibly.

Our siblings. They resemble us just enough to make all their differences confusing, and no matter what we choose to make of this, we are cast in relation to them our whole lives long. ~ Susan Scarf Merrell

Relationship with the in-laws is decent. You know those horror stories with in-laws?? So happy to say that none of that has happened to me (and hopefully will never happen!)! Mum-in-law has been understanding and she is helping me with our laundry until now, and dad-in-law has never complain about anything to me. And the sister-in-laws has never given me any trouble or have I heard any unpleasant comments from them.

Children will not remember you for the material things you provided, but for the feeling that you cherished them. ~ Richard Evans

I have a group of the bestest best friends. My gf from Canada and Perth flew all the way to KL to attend my wedding. Even their other halves flew to KL to attend my wedding. I was terribly moved to tears! And the gfs in KL were there supporting me and lend me a crying shoulder when the world was weighing too heavily at times. They are the bestest friends I've ever had, and I'm so grateful to have them in my life.

No matter who broke your heart or how long it takes to heal, you'll never get through it without your friends. - Carrie Bradshaw from Sex and the City

Career has definitely taken a positive turn. With the promotion and the $$, I am crossing my fingers that it will be better in 2011. Well, at least I'm happy there.


Looking back, it is safe to say that without a doubt, 2010 has turned out to be a fantastic year! Of course, you can't expect only the best? Without the bad, you will never learn to appreciate the good in life.

Have a great 2011 to my family and my friends. May the best of whatever you wish for will come true, and above all, I wish you all health, happiness and love.

0 comments:

Post a Comment